Civilisation V LP, maybe

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Civilisation V LP, maybe

Post  Kiri Ame on Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:53 am

Basically, I got Civilisation V on the weekend, and it's kind of an awesome game, so I was thinking that since we have our own shiny new forum to host this kind of thing, I could LP it and everyone here could have input on decisions and stuff. I've never LPed before, and I don't really know the game well enough to be particularly great at it (OK, I'm terrible at it), but I figure it could still be fun, so I'm making this thread to see what people think.

User

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Civilisation V LP, maybe

Post  Oni-Lord on Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:30 am

Civ 5 is a fun game. I think it could be a fun idea. If you ever want someone to LP the multiplayer with I'd totally be willing to purge your pathetic empire have calm and peaceful diplomacy in the name of fun.

User

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Gaunt88 on Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:16 am

That sounds like an awesome idea.
Gaunt88
User

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Doctor Thunder on Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:11 am

Not only am I interested, I could give an in-depth account of exactly how George Washington acquired that colony of whales America is so famous for. I was his whale advisor, you see. =P

Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Megafire on Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:09 am

Oh God, all of us are advisors on different subject matters.
Megafire
User

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ud the Imp on Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:36 am

I'm sorry I can't be much help since I'm not interested in the Civilization series at all, being more of a console gamer and general not being good at strategy games in general.
Ud the Imp
User

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  LurkerGuy on Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:06 pm

I have not played Civ 5 but I would be interested. Screwing with history is always a wonderful and fun idea!
LurkerGuy
User

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  lightdarkhero250 on Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:09 pm

Watch out for that Ghandi motherfucker, he's a crafty one...One day he comes across your city and everything's all cozy, then 60 turns later BAM he declares war and hits you with a freakin' ICBM... Sad (Diplomacy runs suck on high difficulty modes...)
lightdarkhero250
User

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GameGuru on Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:30 pm

Civilization is awesome and addictive.

Just... one... more... turn...
GameGuru
User

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiri Ame on Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:36 am

@ Ud - That's totally fine. Are you still interested in watching?

@ Everyone - Awesome. Having some people around who are more experienced with the game than I am should be fun, even though you're probably all a lot better at it than I am. =P

User

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  E350tb on Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:00 am

I'm game. Very Happy Civ is awesome!
E350tb
User

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ud the Imp on Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:25 am

@Kiri: Maybe.
Ud the Imp
User

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Oni-Lord on Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:39 am

@Kiri: I wouldn't say better. I still don't think I'm very good at it.

User

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiri Ame on Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:46 am

All right, then. Since it looks like I'm going to have an audience, I might as well get started on this whole thing. ^_^

CIVILIZATION V

For those of you who don't know, Civ V is a turn-based strategy game in which you, the player, choose an empire to guide throughout a warped version of Earth's history, meeting other empires and subsequently kicking their asses/ignoring their diplomatic soap opera bullshit as you vie against them for political, military, cultural and technological supremacy. Once you have chosen your nation, you will begin your task of systematically and brutally kicking history in the balls, growing from a puny little city-state into a world-spanning superpower. Giant death robots usually tend to be involved in the last stage of this process, because that's just the kind of game Civilization is.

But before we can do any of that, we need to choose exactly how we are going to achieve global supremacy, and which great leader will act as our unwitting pawn on the path to victory. Here are our options:

Victory Conditions

There are four ways to win Civilization V, all of which apparently require completely different focuses and priorities (although just building things everywhere seems to sort of work), and all but one of which seem to involve running like a pussy whenever another big empire tells you that they want to declare war with someone. Especially when it's you. Do you know how hard it is to run like a pussy when your cities are stationary? By the end of this LP, you probably will. Maybe. Depending on how lucky we get.

Anyway, four types of victory. Yes.

Cultural Victory: This was the first victory I achieved, and it was totally by accident. On my first playthrough of the game, I was fixated mostly on building cool things in my capital city and ignoring the complex political tensions of the world my civilisation inhabited. Apparently, building all the cool things you can possibly find will increase your culture, which in turn allows you to adopt "Social Policies." As far as I understand it, Social Policies increase your swag, and when you have accumulated enough of said swag, you will be able to construct the Utopia Project. The Utopia Project is only vaguely described in the game, but I always just sort of assumed that it involves building a giant monocle from the distilled poetic tears of history's greatest artists, and then forcing every other nation to admit that they can't top that amount of classiness. This somehow makes you win the game.

Diplomatic Victory: A Diplomatic Victory appears to involve waiting thousands of years for you to develop the technology to create the United Nations, and then paying off a bunch of small nations to vote for you. This somehow makes you win the game.

Scientific Victory: This is where you spend thousands of years trying to make technological advancements faster than everyone else, until your faceless little humans figure out how to build a spaceship and launch themselves into the stars. Once said spaceship has been constructed, you may proceed to smugface at the other nations from orbit until they admit, once again, that they cannot top that. This somehow makes you win the game.

Military Victory: A military victory is superficially the most straightforward of the four paths, and the one that I am trying to complete in my current playthrough as Genghis Khan. As the name might suggest, a military victory involves eliminating every other nation on the map. It also, as a result, involves sidetracking yourself to build a metric ton of money- and happiness-boosting buildings in your cities, so that you can support your vast horde and keep the people in cities you have occupied from whining too much. Once you have mastered the delicate art of stuffing money into people's mouths to make them shut up, you may proceed with systematically eliminating lesser empires and taking over the world. This, somewhat unsurprisingly, makes you win the game.

Anyway, that's the first voting point: what kind of victory are we going to shoot for here? Are we going to crush everyone under the weight of our classiness, or do we prefer our boot-heels? Shall we smugface at the world from the comfort of a cozy UN seat, or do we prefer to do so from the uncomfortable, but forever stylish depths of space? It's entirely up to you.

Playable Leaders/Nations

Now that I've outlined the options we have regarding our civilisation's focus, we need to choose the great leader that will carry our empire to glory. We have quite a few choices here, so I'm just going to give each of them a brief description and let you guys vote for the one you think looks the coolest.

Alexander (Greece)

Ability: Hellenic League

Alexander's whole deal is apparently that his influence with City-States (tiny baby countries that aren't competing against you to win the game, but can still be bribed/conquered for your own ends) degrades slowly and recovers really quickly, which is cool if you want small countries giving you stuff but don't want to have to pay for it, I guess.

Askia (Songhai)

Ability: River Warlord

The advantages of playing as Askia are two-fold: playing as him gets you triple gold from pillaging barbarian camps and cities, and embarked units (land-based warriors/workers that have magically turned into boats so that they can get across the sea) will be able to defend themselves, which they don't seem to be able to do otherwise. So that's pretty cool.

Augustus Caesar (Rome)

Ability: The Glory of Rome

Augustus' ability makes any building that already exists in the capital city of his empire get built 25% faster, which is cool, I guess. I tried playing as him for like five minutes, but I didn't really get to see the benefits of his ability, since everyone sort of instantly declared war on me. Rome was also the first empire to get eliminated in my first playthrough (the one I accidentally won), so from my very limited experience, I have made the assumption that they are just massive pussies. Despite how pimping Augustus' toga looks.

Bismarck (Germany)

Ability: Furor Teutonicus

Bismarck has a 50% chance of making barbarian units give him some money and join his side when his warriors pillage their camps. He also gets to pay less maintenance for land units, which is a pretty sweet deal if you're trying to build up a massive army and don't want to pay for it. Oh, and he has an amazing moustache. I'm sure that counts as an ability. It seems like it'd be so useful in such a wide variety of situations. Just look at it.

Catherine (Russia)

Ability: Siberian Riches

Catherine's whole deal is that strategic resources (i.e resources you need to make certain types of building/unit - things like iron, coal, horses, etc.) generate a little bit of extra production, which in turn leads to things getting built faster. She also gets twice as many horses, iron and uranium out of a single source of any of those things, which is useful when you want to amass a whole heap of cavalry/swordsmen/giant death robots and only own one tile that actually has those things on it.

Darius I (Persia)

Ability: Achaemenid Legacy

Darius' ability makes Golden Ages last 50% longer and grants extra movement speed and combat strength to his unit during said Golden Ages, which are periods of extra growth that are triggered by I don't even know shut up. I think you can vaporise historical figures to make them happen, maybe. Anyway, he has an amazing beard, so that's a plus.

Elizabeth I (England)

Ability: Sun Never Sets

Elizabeth's ability grants +2 movement speed to naval units, which doesn't really seem like the most useful thing ever when you're trying to conquer the entire world, including the inland bits. Of course, you can set the game on a map where the world is just made of a bunch of islands, so I guess it can be workable. Her expression makes me not want to argue with her about it.

Gandhi (India)

Ability: Population Growth

Gandhi's ability doubles the amount of unhappiness your people get from the number of cities you have, while halving the amount of unhappiness they get from the number of citizens there are in said cities. Basically, it encourages you to base your game around one massive, central city. I'm not sure what practical use this has, but hey, it's Gandhi. Gandhi was awesome in real life.

Genghis Khan (Mongolia)

Ability: Mongol Terror

I'm currently playing as Genghis Khan in my other game, and doing really well in my task of conquering and subduing every empire and city-state in sight. He gets a bonus to his combat strength when fighting cities, and his mounted units have some extra movement speed, so if you want to see a Mongol horde sweeping through the world like a motherfucking death hurricane, then I strongly suggest Genghis. Also, I'm totally not a megalomaniac.

Harun Al-Rashid (Arabia)

Ability: Trade Caravans

You get a bit of extra gold from trade routes, and double quantity from sources of oil. Which could be cool if your objective is to earn enough money to buy off everyone and win a diplomatic victory, I guess.

Hiawatha (The Iroquois)

Ability: The Great Warpath

Hiawatha's ability is mostly to look like a total badass, but the game is telling me something about how he can move through jungles and forests in friendly territory like they're roads or something. Which seems like it would be a godsend in the early parts of the game, because everyone seems to get bogged down in forests. It makes exploring a pain. Also, Hiawatha came the closest to beating me out of any empire in my first run of the game, so I think it's safe to say that he's as badass as he looks.

Montezuma (The Aztecs)

Ability: Sacrificial Captives

Montezuma's ability gives him extra swag (otherwise known as "culture" Rolling Eyes ) whenever he kills an enemy unit, which really just seems confusing and contradictory, because that looks like it'd be useful for a cultural victory, but it involves doing military things. What gives? His headdress, however, makes up for any confusion involved in just what his in-game purpose is meant to be. Silly little Montezuma can't decide what he's useful for, but he knows how to rock dem feathers.

Napoleon (France)

Ability: Ancien Regime

Napoleon's ability grants him a significant amount of extra Culture per turn, but only until you discover Steam Power. After that, all you really have to go off ability-wise is the fact that he's Napoleon.

Oda Nobunaga (Japan)

Ability: Bushido

Oda's ability allows his warriors to fight as if they were at full strength even when they're half-dead, making him truly the most shonen of all great historical leaders. I mean, just look at that picture of him. He just oozes Kamina-juice, except with more honour.

Ramesses II (Egypt)

Ability: Monument Builders

Ramesses' ability allows him to build Wonders (cool things that nobody else can get once they've been built somewhere) 20% faster, which seems like it'd be really awesome when you're aiming for a Cultural victory. Wonders generally tend to increase culture quite a bit, and I managed to win my first game of Civ V by building as many of them as I could at random.

Ramhkamhaeng (Siam)

Ability: Father Governs Children

Apparently drawn to his unpronounceable name, I chose to play as Ramkhamhaeng on my first playthrough, and, as I have mentioned several times before and will probably not shut up about for a while, I won through sheer experimentation with cool stuff. His ability increases the amount of food and culture friendly city-states give you by 50%, but his main advantage lies in the fact that he's a kindly-looking middle-aged man (at least, in his in-game portrait; right there he just looks kind of snobby), and you'd be a monster to try and hurt his empire or his beloved people. Coincidentally, his was the first empire I destroyed as Genghis.

Suleiman (The Ottomans)

Ability: Barbary Corsairs

Somewhat similarly to Bismarck, Suleiman's ability gives him a 50% chance of converting naval barbarian units to his side and getting them to give him a little bit of money. He also pays one-third of the cost for maintaining naval units, which seems like a sweet deal if you're planning on taking over the world by amassing a vast fleet and then just sort of throwing it in everyone's faces.

Washington (America)

Ability: Manifest Destiny

Washington's ability gives him a 50% discount when buying up land, and his land units get a little bit of extra sight... somehow. Anyway, I seem to remember that everyone kept declaring war on Washington on my first playthrough of the game, so go figure. He kept asking me to be his friend, too, which makes him kind of seem like the sad little bullied kid in the playground of the world.

Wu Zetian (China)

Ability: Art of War

Wu Zetian's ability allows her to produce 50% more great generals than her empire otherwise would, and said generals give a greater combat bonus to the units they accompany than they otherwise would, which seems like a really great bonus for a military nation to have. Also, I remember doing a research assignment on her in high school, and that was kind of interesting. Maybe that means playing as her in Civ would be fun, too.

Anyway, those are your options. I'll leave some time for people to vote on them, and then I'll get started with the actual playing-the-game part. I want to leave a lot of decisions up to you guys, which means that this LP might progress somewhat slowly, but hopefully we can generate some discussion about this. What kind of game do you want to play? Do any particular leaders jump out at you? Most importantly, why?

Let's get this party started.

User

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Megafire on Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:56 am

I always like going for a diplomatic trade nation, really, but I don't know which of these guys is most suited to this purpose.
Megafire
User

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Doctor Thunder on Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:58 am

Discounting Elizabeth's amazing expression or the glorious facial hair of some of the other potential leaders, Askia's got my vote. River Warlord just sounds like too useful an ability to pass up.

Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Megafire on Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:02 am

Hell, I'm half tempted to go with Ghandi and call the city Ankh-Morpork, but that might just be me.
Megafire
User

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiri Ame on Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:09 am

As a very casual fan of Discworld, I will definitely take that into consideration. =P

User

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  E350tb on Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:22 pm

We need to play as Bismarck - that moustache must conquer the world.
E350tb
User

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Locoman on Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:29 pm

Well damn- now I'm inspired to try writing my own LP. Which game...?

I wholeheartedly support Ankh-Morpork, too. :p
Locoman
User

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lynkzero13 on Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:04 pm

Seeing as my standard MO in RTS games like Age of Empires is almost always "Amass a fuckload of resources, then beat people over the head with them for ignoring me for long enough to amass said resources", I support Harun Al-Rashad or Catherine. MORE TRADE ROUTES!

Alternately, Bismarck to account for my raging German boner and that glorious mustache of his.

afro
Lynkzero13
Admin

View user profile http://thearistocrats.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Gaunt88 on Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:22 pm

I'm with thunder, Askia sounds like he'd be really useful, especially if our map has lots of oceans. I also like the sound of Hiawatha.
Gaunt88
User

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Aken Jizo on Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:31 pm

I can't support the Ghandi+Ankh-Morpork plan, as Ankh-Morpork will always belong to Vetinari. I vote for Bismark. His convert ability is a lot more useful than one would think. Also, HIS FACEFUR IS GLORIOUS!

Did you get Civ on steam, by any chance? Because if you did, I'll be forced to hunt down your profile and add you to my friends list.
Aken Jizo
User

Location : The place with the guy and the thing doing the stuff.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GameGuru on Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:46 pm

Of those choices, I suggest conquering the world as Genghis Khan!
GameGuru
User

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiri Ame on Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:34 pm

@ Aken - I didn't originally get it through Steam, but the game somehow ended up downloading itself through Steam despite the fact that I had the physical copy of it sitting right there. Anyway, my Steam name is KiriAme, so you can feel free to add me.

@ Everyone - It's nice to see that we're getting a lot of variety so far. I'm going to wait a little longer before I pick one from the more popular options, but so far, it looks like Bismarck, Ankh-Morpork!Gandhi and Askia are in the lead. ^_^

User

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top