Gaming Corner

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Gaming Corner

Post  Dr. Keith Fetus on Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:11 pm

So I'm on Chapter 2 of Disgaea now. ...Dear God, what the hell did I buy!?

So I've been buying weapons and armor occasionally, getting Evilities and new abilities occasionally, and passing the More Expensive Items bill whenever I could. Oh, and create new party members occasionally. I'm assuming it doesn't really matter how I play until the postgame or whatever.

So yeah, I'm a little ways into the game, and I got a ton of questions. So apparently you can power level and all that. When, if ever, should I actually start caring about that? Postgame I presume? And what's the deal with Item Worlds, and when should start doing those? Oh, and what's with the item ranks? (bronze, silver, gold) Do they serve of any importance?
Dr. Keith Fetus
User

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Doctor Thunder on Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:47 pm

Okay, one thing at a time:

Making new generic units is generally a good idea in order to fill a niche in your party line-up. Your story characters will almost always be better than generic units, but something like, say, a healer is always good to have, because there isn't a story character equivalent for those. Disgaea 3 also only has two dedicated ranged story characters (Raspberyl, and then another character you get in, like, the final chapter), so having an archer or gunner is a good idea; or both. They're both really solid classes. You'll never need a huge army, though. Try sticking with like ten or twelve core units, including your story characters. You get...I think nine story units by the end, but two of them are literally just slightly-buffed generic units (although their base classes are amazing, so they're still good) and two others don't show up until the very end, so five to seven generics is probably exactly what you want to focus on.

You should power-level whenever you feel like you need to. It's entirely possible to clear the main story without ever touching the Item World, but having a few extra levels to offset the superior enemy numbers helps. Use it however much or little you want. You absolutely need it for the post-game content, though, since the final boss is level 90 and the first secret character fight is level 200.

Items have levels too, and you raise those by doing Item World floors, which you need to do in groups of 10 unless you have an item to teleport you out early. Raising an item's level just makes it better, and item ranks increase stats too. Also, having multiple items with the exact same rarity rank (it should be a numerical value on the weapon) gives you an all-around stat boost, though it's not very much of one until near the end.

Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dr. Keith Fetus on Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:03 am

On chapter 3 now. Decided to venture into an item world. (Oven Mitts in this case.) Went through 10 floors... Good lord. What the hell? Are items supposed to get a big stat boost like that? O_o I think I know what I'm going to be doing for a while.

So, questions. Is it worth my time to go through single use item worlds, or should I just ignore that? I know going through equipment worlds really helps out a lot.

Also, when would it be an ideal time to reincarnate a character? Is Magichange actually useful? Not really focusing too much on monster classes. Should I?

In non-Disgaea related news, I got Xenoblade Chronicles. Man, I am really liking this game so far. There's a lot to explore, and I like to do the sidequests. The way NPC interactions work in this game, heavily reminds me a of Majora's Mask. (which is a good thing.) Hell there's so much to do, that I haven't even advanced the plot that much, I'm still at the beginning of the game!

Oh, and while I was out buying Xenoblade, I saw some poor girl getting Metroid: Other M. I wonder if I should've stopped her...
Dr. Keith Fetus
User

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Doctor Thunder on Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:25 am

Yeah, Item World boosts are pretty great, but most of the time you're better off just buying better equipment. Even with the nice boosts, they'll get replaced pretty quickly. If you want an insane boost, though, pass the Glasses Inventory bill, then buy some Nerd Glasses. They give huge hit and intelligence boosts, and are pretty much the best accessory for mages and archers for a while.

Single-use items don't need to be boosted. Don't worry about those.

Reincarnate a character once they hit certain key levels for each class "tier", which will let them learn new special attacks and increase their stats a lot. The class tiers are:

Tier 1 - meet prerequisites and pass the appropriate topic if applicable
Tier 2 - level up a tier 1 character to Lv15
Tier 3 - level up a tier 2 character to Lv40
Tier 4 - level up a tier 3 character to Lv80
Tier 5 - level up a tier 4 character to Lv160
Tier 6 - level up a tier 5 character to Lv360

A properly-leveled tier 3 character will easily be good enough for the endgame story fights, but I'd recommend unlocking that and tier 2 as soon as possible. It's generally really easy to make up for lower levels earlier in the game, and if you're doing Item World runs anyway, catching a newly-reincarnated character up is easy.

Magichange is gimmicky and is almost never useful. Don't bother with it.

Monsters are awesome in this one, but if you're already using the majority of the story characters, you're only going to have a few open slots left for your primary team, and you're better off going with demon characters instead. Orcs and Slimes are fantastic, though Slimes sort of taper off by the end of the game. If you're going to use a monster, I'd recommend an Orc, but you're not going to be at any sort of real disadvantage if you never touch the monster classes. Just for reference, Raspberyl counts as a monster due to her weapon type being non-standard, so she'll use the magic-based monster weapons once she joins. It also means she's not going to be able to lift and throw, unfortunately, but given her scrawny she is, it sort of makes sense. =P

Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dr. Keith Fetus on Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:10 am

Ah, thank you for the advice. I hate to ask more questions (Yeah, I'm clearly new to the series.), but when would it be a good time to reincarnate a monster or main character, since those don't have tiers? Oh, and I apparently unlocked new classes by having two classes level up to 15. (Gun Slinger and Armor Warrior in my case.) What's the deal with those? Should I use them? Are they useful?
Dr. Keith Fetus
User

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Doctor Thunder on Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:57 am

No problem. I don't mind helping.

Monsters do actually have tiers, same as demon classes, but I don't think they're restricted from which special attacks they can learn by their tier, since they don't actually equip normal weapons. I'd say reincarnate monsters and main characters around the same time if at all possible, so they can get comparable stat boosts. Gunslinger is a good class, but Armor Warrior isn't all that great. It's slow and sturdy, but durability it generally not an issue, and you get two really tanky story characters anyway. One of your later story characters is good with both guns and axes, and if you decide to give them axes (I would highly recommend that you do), gunslinger is probably your best choice for a ranged physical attacker, so I would recommend using one.

Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dr. Keith Fetus on Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:33 pm

Ah, I see.

Hmm, I noticed the mages already have 3 "tiers" unlocked. Though from what I see, it's just elemental preference. What do I do about reincarnating mages? I currently have a Red Mage on my team.

And yes, gun users are awesome, as I've discovered with my Thief (who's now a Rogue).
Dr. Keith Fetus
User

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Doctor Thunder on Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:06 pm

Leveling up all three mages to...level 15, I think, unlocks Star Mages, who use star-elemental magic (effectively non-elemental, but certain things resist star). Star Mages are pretty much the only spell-casters other than Raspberyl who are worth using, since Star Magic is really strong. But you can't combo with it, so your combo specials are still going to usually be better.

By the way, which characters are you using, and which weapon types are you focusing on?

Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dr. Keith Fetus on Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:37 am

Let's see...

Mao-Sword
Almaz-Spear
Rogue-Gun
Red Mage-Staff
Acolyte-Bow
Warrior-Axe
Gunslinger-(none, on the account of me not being able to afford anything decent just yet.)
Thunder Fist-Fists
Fight Artist-Fists
Pvt. Prinny
Alraune
Petite Orc
Catsaber (not actually using him. Was result of a capture, and trying to figure out how they worked.)
Dr. Keith Fetus
User

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Doctor Thunder on Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:38 am

Ah, awesome. Good call giving Almaz spears, since he's pretty much the best spear-user in the game.

Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dr. Keith Fetus on Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:54 am

Hmm, apparently, you have to have all 3 types of mages, and the sum of their levels has to equal 50. And they all have to exist at the same time. (a shame, cause my plan of reincarnating the mage into a green, than blue mage to learn all the skills and evilites won't work, unless I want to grind the blue mage up to level 50. And pay 400 mana for reincarnation.)

Yeah, I thought having 2 sword users would be a bit redundant, so I gave Almaz a spear. Looks like I made the right choice.

Oh, and what does leveling up a skill do? You know, when you use it over and over to give it experience. I know boosting a skill makes it more powerful, and sometimes, give it more range.

EDIT: Holy crap, reincarnated characters gain a huge stat boost during level ups!
Dr. Keith Fetus
User

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Doctor Thunder on Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:22 pm

That's all leveling up a skill does. The boosts add up pretty quickly, so that can help a lot. And yeah, reincarnated characters end up way stronger than normal ones. Just remember that a character gains points in each stat equal to half their base value every level. So, for example, if you reincarnate a Warrior and put enough points in their attack stat so that they're at 30, they'll be gaining 15 attack per level. You can see where this could lead to some completely ridiculous stats, depending on the class and how many points you have to throw around. =P

Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dr. Keith Fetus on Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:14 pm

So I've unlocked the Class World, and I apparently can use it to make the characters powerful? Hmm, how does this work, anyway?

Oh, and I ran into a pirate in the item world, and got myself a UFO. And unlocked reverse pirating apparently. Umm, exactly how does that work

Oh, and what are the Illegal Tickets for? Something about the X-Dimension?
Dr. Keith Fetus
User

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Doctor Thunder on Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:48 pm

Clearing the class world for a character raises their aptitudes (their stat multipliers, essentially). There's only ten floors, but there's a limit to how many times you can visit it before you have to reincarnate that character, which is determined by the quality of the character ("Good-For-Nothing", "Average", etc.).

Reverse Pirating is where you fly your pirate ship into an Item World and steal residents from it, which you can then shove inside other items to make them stronger.

The Illegal Tickets are to access the Land of Carnage, which is one of the final post-game things. You can unlock a ton of extra stuff in there, but you're not going to be powerful enough to do it for a really long time. Don't worry about collecting them for now.

Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GameGuru on Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:46 am

Since this is Gaming Corner... Have any of you ever sold your games? I've occasionally have done so from time to time, but I'm just curious.
GameGuru
User

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Thanatologist on Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:23 am

I haven't, since I only get games that I'll want to be playing for a long, long time.
Thanatologist
User

View user profile http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Tropers/Thanatologist

Back to top Go down

Post  Aken Jizo on Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:25 am

Land of Carnage kicked my ass the first time around.

By the way, it's not really necessary for the story mode, but you should totally start saving before every battle when you get to the extra stages. Some of the level requirement jumps between those stages are ridiculous.
Aken Jizo
User

Location : The place with the guy and the thing doing the stuff.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Aken Jizo on Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:38 am

Double posting because I'm an asshole, and I was wondering if anyone else here played minecraft.
Aken Jizo
User

Location : The place with the guy and the thing doing the stuff.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Doctor Thunder on Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:20 pm

Nope, but I plan on getting it sometime soon.

Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  The Bountiful Cock Tree on Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:12 pm

I play a ridiculous amount of Minecraft, mostly Technic. Which reminds me, does anyone here have Tekkit?
The Bountiful Cock Tree
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ud the Imp on Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:29 pm

Nope, never played it and don't plan on playing it.
Ud the Imp
User

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lynkzero13 on Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:50 am

Used to play a bunch of Minecraft on a server a friend of mine hosts, but then he got busy and lazy and didn't update it for a while. That'll change soon, though, when the next patch hits.

Can't say I've ever used Tekkit, but I remember reading about it a while ago.

afro
Lynkzero13
Admin

View user profile http://thearistocrats.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  The Bountiful Cock Tree on Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:11 am

The patch hit yesterday, he should totally start updating. -n-
The Bountiful Cock Tree
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Luke_Prowler on Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:00 pm

I've gotten Minecraft recently and playing a lot of it. Vanilla for the moment, because I have no idea how to work mods/texture packs
Luke_Prowler
User

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GameGuru on Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:18 pm

I haven't played Minecraft, mostly because I haven't bothered to do so yet.
GameGuru
User

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top