Let's play an Adventure in a Castle!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Let's play an Adventure in a Castle!

Post  GameGuru on Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:37 am

I've decided to try my hand at a Let's Play, but there are a ton of Let's Plays out there on well-known games. Rather than begin my LPing on a popular game, I am going to start with an obscure one.

It was one of the first freeware games out there, created by Kevin Bales in 1984. No one knows where he is anymore. He made this game when he was 14, so I assume like most people remembering what they did back when they were 14, he's hiding due to being embarrassed from making this game.

Without further adieu, Let's Play...

Get a good look at that picture. That's the best graphics in this game. This is one of the first clones of Rogue as well.

Then again, Rogue isn't exactly the best looking game either, but we're here to play Castle Adventure. Castle Adventure has a story to it.

Apparently we've been trapped in this deserted castle and need to find a way out. There are a few quirks to this game though.

Yes, this is a DOS game, but notice the number of cycles this game is currently running at. The speed at which this game runs is determined by our computer's speed. Running this game at the speeds that modern systems run at will only lead to pain and sorrow.

That ugly emoticon from Rogue just kicked our butts at the speed of Sonic the Hedgehog. If you want to play a more challenging game, feel free to crank the speed up. However, 275 cycles is roughly the speed at which DOS computers ran in 1984, so that's why I have chosen that speed.

See those SAVE and LOAD options? A weird bug about this game is that saving and loading will spawn invincible monsters made of numbers, so we aren't using that option. This game doesn't have a randomized castle, so we don't have to worry about the lack of saving. However, in terms of how it's coded, this game gets a big fat...

But this was a game that my dad had on his old IBM PC and it was one I've played in my youth and found enjoyable. I even escaped the castle once when I was a kid by glitching the game! Well, then... into the breach!

We find ourselves inside the castle courtyard, but see that little thing in the courtyard.

Our hero and the guy we will be playing with for this game, ladies and gentlemen. Obviously, we are some dwarf who had been abandoned here after killing all the elves in this castle. We try the door...

It's locked, so we are stuck here. Anyone notice the text parser in this game? This isn't just a Rogue clone, but a text adventure as well! If you all are nice, we'll play Zork next. There is only one direction to go.

The entrance room only offers one direction to go also, so we head in that direction.

Now we are welcomed to the first intersection in the game! This is where you decide which direction we go: North, East, or West. I suggest not picking West because our friend, the ugly emoticon, is in that direction and we need to find a weapon before we can kill him. Make your choices now!
GameGuru
User

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Let's play an Adventure in a Castle!

Post  Thanatologist on Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:07 am

East!

Because my country is in that direction and going north is too mainstream.
Thanatologist
User

View user profile http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Tropers/Thanatologist

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiri Ame on Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:00 am

North, because I like making things difficult.

User

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ud the Imp on Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:41 am

Go East. North is boring and West is overrated.
Ud the Imp
User

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Darkomega245 on Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:24 pm

Going west is suicide? oh to hell with that.

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESTTTT
Darkomega245
User

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:25 am

Head north, guru of games.

Back to top Go down

Post  Aken Jizo on Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:18 am

Is this the game that inspired the game that inspired the game that inspired Dwarf Fortress? As for direction, we obviously need to have our sentient Club go north.
Aken Jizo
User

Location : The place with the guy and the thing doing the stuff.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dr. Keith Fetus on Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:46 am

I suppose east will do.

Also, your screenshots have an odd aspect ratio. Everything is stretched out.
Dr. Keith Fetus
User

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GameGuru on Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:37 am

Looks like we are tied for North and East, but before I decide this, someone here mentioned the odd aspect ratio of the game. Apparently, the game was designed to stretch that way. What those screens were emulating is the default graphics option for DOSbox... Super VGA. Most of the machine options for this game in DOSBox will give the game a stretched out look like that with a few notable exceptions.

Going VGA-only only makes the game look even crappier. Don't use it.

This is a screenshot of the game being played on an emulation of a Hercules Graphics Card, which was what my dad had in his machine when I was a kid. As you can see, while the game isn't stretched out anymore, It's also only taking half as much space on the emulation. Most websites on this game will show either Super VGA or Hercules graphics for this game. However, there is a better option...

Say hello to Castle Adventure on an emulation of the Tandy Computer. The castle walls look like stone, the hero looks like a person, and...

The ogre still looks like an emoticon. Well, two out of three ain't bad. Apparently, Kevin Bales was a Tandy Computer Whiz Kid, which is another thing for him to be embarrassed and go into hiding about. These graphics will also appear with DOSBox emulating a PC Jr. or a CGA machine. However, since this is the best the game is going to look, I'm going to go with this option for the rest of my Let's Play.

Unfortunately, the screen crediting Kevin Bales ends up squashed in Tandy Mode, so be sure to note that.

Well seeing as we are tied between North and East... I'll choose North!

NORTH!

NORTH!!!

Ah, it's the King Emoticon. Run away! Run away!

Yeah, we should have gone East from this room.

Then North...

We found a sword! If we are to challenge any creature here, we need to pick up the sword. It's very simple to use a sword in Castle Adventure. We just run into enemies, while holding it and praying that they don't kill us first!

You can't see it, but I'm dancing on its corpse. There are actually many items on this floor that we can here. For example, if we head North from this room, which is indeed east of the Welcome Hall...

We find this fancy micron sign. There are many treasures in this castle like this micron and the crown that King Emoticon was guarding. However, unlike most heroes, we can only carry six items at a time, and have to drop one if we are to pick another up. To drop something, you type "DROP" followed by the name of the item. We will leave the treasures alone for now.

Heading up from that room, leads us to the Kitchen... If we head left, we enter the Chef's Quarters, and if we type "LOOK DESK"...

It's ye flask... But we can't get ye flask, unless we are next to the table, which is the black rectangle, and type "GET FLASK"

Returning to this room, if we head left...

We find a fountain... It's an actual working fountain, and we can fill our newly obtained flask with water by typing "GET WATER". We can then drink the water by typing "DRINK WATER." The water will heal our wounds that angry emoticons inflict on us. We only have a limited amount of health and we cannot check our own health, so I recommend people do this often in the game...

However, don't do it in real life. Remember that this is supposed to be a deserted castle and deserted castles rarely have clean drinking water.

Delicious bacteria-infested water! Maybe the Emoticons clean it daily. Let us hope so. We'll get some more water just in case, though.

Returning to this room if we head north in this room... We will find ourselves in the storage room, and if we run into the "D"...

We need something that can light our way before we can go down there... The U's and D's are supposed to be staircases going Up or Down respectfully.

Returning to this room, we can go up its stairs!

By typing in "INVENTORY" we can check what we currently have on our person. We have a SWORD and a WINE FLASK. However, now that we are on the second floor, it's time for you to choose again. Four directions this time... North, South, East, and West. You decide!
GameGuru
User

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dr. Keith Fetus on Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:51 am

Well thanks for explaining that aspect ratio issue.

South I suppose!
Dr. Keith Fetus
User

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiri Ame on Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:04 am

North. Just keep going north forever and ever and ever.

User

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ud the Imp on Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:49 am

Go East.
Ud the Imp
User

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Thanatologist on Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:44 am

My first impulse would be to head east, so east.
Thanatologist
User

Back to top Go down

Post  GameGuru on Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:24 pm

I apologize for not posting for a while, but I had been busy lately... So where were we...

hehehehe... ^^' Ahem.

We were here, and I had asked you all which direction to go.. The most votes were East, so we head East.

We find a helmet... This is one of the items that aren't treasures, along with the flask, that we can use but don't actually need to escape. If we wear the helmet, it will protect us from damage by the creatures in the castle. We'll take it for now.

In actuality, many of the items we needed were in the different directions that you had to choose... If we go West from this room.

We find another angry emoticon, but also a magic wand. Apparently, we're a multiclass Warrior/Mage.

Returning to this room and heading South we find...

A statue of the King, but if we type "LOOK STATUE"...

We see it's wearing a necklace... Much like with the flask we approach the statue and type in "GET NECKLACE"...

The necklace will be in our inventory. The Necklace is one of two treasures that are also useful in the castle. The importance of treasures is in determining your final score for when you escape. We'll talk about how to get the treasures later.

Finally, going North from this room...

We find a vampire... Apparently it's sleeping and doesn't notice us, but because it's a vampire, it can't be killed with our sword. We'll leave him alone for now, and continue northward.

We find stairs upwards, so let's go up.

Has anyone noticed by now the spelling mistakes... It's supposed to be spelt "corridor" not "cooridor." There are a lot of spelling mistakes like that in this game. Apparently, this game was made before spellcheck as well as before graphics. Either way, if we go south...

We find another stairway upwards, so let's go up.

We now go north...

We finally find something different. To the West is a division sign blocking our path. Like the vampire, we have to find a specific item to get rid of it, but it won't attack us. However, there is a clear path to the East.

We are now in the King's Study, but by typing in "LOOK DESK"

WE FOUND A KEY?! Let's go up to the desk and type "GET KEY."

Let's head back to the entrance. I've got a good feeling about this Key.

Remember that the castle gate was locked, so let's use the Key on it by typing "OPEN GATE"!

The Key doesn't fit. No Interchangeable Antimatter Keys in this game. But it said it was locked magically so what if we use the wand? Let's type "WAVE WAND."

The Wand doesn't work. Apparently Kevin Bales expected us to try to unlock this with both the Key and the Wand. However, now that we are on this floor... There is one more item we need.

By heading East from the room that we found the sword in we find...

A mean-looking snake and a lamp. With the lamp we can explore the stairway that in the storage room, so let's try to pick it up...

We can't pick it up as we can only carry six items at a time. Remember that to drop something we need to use type "DROP" followed by the name of the item.

It is the Helmet and the Flask that we might not need in the future. The Helmet protects us from damage while the Flask can heal us with water. Everything else we will need... Will we take the Helmet or the Flask downstairs with us. Choose wisely.
GameGuru
User

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiri Ame on Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:33 pm

Keep the flask

User

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Thanatologist on Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:08 am

Hmm... I'd probably go with flask.
Thanatologist
User

Back to top Go down

Post  Ud the Imp on Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:00 pm

Keep the flask.
Ud the Imp
User

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GameGuru on Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:41 pm

Just to let you all know... I'm going to be away from the internet starting August 1st for about a week to visit my grandparents. Letting you all know ahead of time. I may only get one additional update in before then.
GameGuru
User

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GameGuru on Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:26 pm

It's been a while, hasn't it? Well, sorry for taking so long to get this up, but I had been busy with school stuff and so totally not playing Tomb Raider, so let's get going.

Everyone wants me to keep ye flask so I'll keep ye flask. We've also headed back into the storage room.

After killing a goddamn bat or possibly a magical boomerang, we find ourselves in a room with a door... It is here that we needed the key.

By typing "OPEN DOOR" while holding the key, the door magically disappears! We will now abandon the key at this point since we no longer need it and we do need room for the item we need down here.

After a long passageway, we are attacked by an asterick spider and find ourselves in a maze. I've position my character on the path that we should head through the maze.

We will be in this maze for a while, but we do need to go east from this screen.

We need to head down the path guarded by the Big Spider. Also, my character can look through wall!

There is only one path we can take so we head south into a winding passage.

It's here where I decided to drink the water from the flask and wear the necklace. As I've said before, the necklace is one of the two useful treasures in this castle. The necklace protects us from the traps that are up ahead. The next one is up ahead.

Now the first inclination would be to head down the path and go upwards, but... we have yet to use one of the six items we've gotten, so... let's use the Wand right here!

By typing "WAVE WAND", we find a secret passage leading south!

In this passage is the Scepter. The Scepter is the other useful treasure, in that it is what we need to escape the castle itself.

We need to head back through the maze and the way we came to the room that we started this adventure in.

By typing "WAVE SCEPTER", the gate to the castle disappears! We can just walk out!

Note the spelling error on treasures... However, 900 is a poor score... so should we go through the castle again to get some of the "treasues" now that we know how to escape, or should we end the LP here and let you all figure that out for yourselves. I'll let you decide, if you are still there.
GameGuru
User

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ud the Imp on Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:47 pm

REDO!!!
Ud the Imp
User

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top