Let's Play Every Conspiracy Theory Ever - a Deus Ex LP

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Let's Play Every Conspiracy Theory Ever - a Deus Ex LP

Post  Gaunt88 on Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:37 am

The year is 2052, and it is a dark time indeed. The spectre of pollution is still hovering over the world, the global economy is in ruins, and the resulting political instability has left many governments teetering precariously above complete chaos. As if that wasn't enough, a devastating pandemic - the Grey Death virus - is sweeping across the globe. There is a cure, the Ambrosia vaccine, but it's expensive, scarce and very tightly regulated. Naturally, first dibs go to the rich and influential, leaving a growing underclass to fend for themselves. Capitalising on the unrest, international terrorist groups are growing increasingly brazen and organised in their activities. In response, the world's governments form the United Nations Anti-Terrorist Coalition (UNATCO), a small but elite force tasked with combating the threat of global terrorism.

We'll be playing JC Denton, UNATCO's newest recruit. JC may be inexperienced, but he has one major advantage over his new colleagues - he is one of a very small number of agents to carry nanotech augmentations, a new experimental technology that promises to push its users far beyond their human limitations.

As JC starts his first day at work, the powers that be add a new piece to their game of influence, lies and hidden agendas.

Let's play Deus Ex.

Hey guys, welcome to my first LP. Hopefully I'll be able to keep things entertaining as I show you you guys one of my very favourite games. Made in 2000, Deus Ex is a story-based first-person shooter with RPG and stealth elements, widely considered to be one of the best games of all time (Translation from fandomspeak: it has enough good ideas for it to overcome its numerous flaws and achieve cult classic status). Some of you may have played this already, and I'm sure some of you will have at least heard of the prequel, "Deus Ex: Human Revolution" released last year.

Before we start, we'll need to do three things - Decide on a name, an appearance, and tag some skills.

Name

JC Denton is our code-name, and is what everyone will be calling us in-game. However, we can decide what our real name will be. This is a pretty inconsequential detail, as it'll only affect a few emails (and my narration, of course).

Appearance

We have five options to choose from. From left to right:

Default JC, Black JC, Latino (or possibly just suntanned) JC, Ginger JC and Albino JC.

Purely cosmetic, this will affect both JC and his brother Paul. Note that this just changes JC's textures, not his model or voice.

Skills

Now we get to the meat of it. We have 5000 points to spend on ranks for our initial skill training. As we progress through the game we'll earn more points by achieving objectives, completing tasks and finding hidden areas. Ranks are as follows: Untrained -> Trained -> Advanced -> Master.

Our choices are:

Computers: Affects how fast we can hack into computer systems, how long we can poke around before an alarm sounds, and what we can do while we're in there. Higher levels will let us deactivate security cameras, deactivate or recruit turrets and robots, and unlock doors. Note that we can't hack terminals at all if we're untrained.

Electronics: Affects how fast we can hack electronic locks and keypads, and how efficient we are in using the game's consumable multi-tool items - ie, an untrained JC may use up 5 multitools hacking a strong lock, while an expert JC would only use one.

Lockpicking: Essentially the same as Electronics, but with physical locks. Lockpicks are another consumable item, so the more training we have the fewer we'll use.

Environmental training: Affects the lifespan of certain consumable items - rebreathers for breathing underwater, thermoptic camo for a brief period of invisibility, ballistic vests for increased armour and hazmat suits for toxic environments. Probabaly one of the least useful skills, as these items are somewhat rare, mostly situational, and are often rendered redundant by our bio-mods (more on them next time).

Medicine: Higher ranks in medicine mean medkits heal more damage and poisoning will fade faster.

Swimming: Hah, good one!

Oh, you actually want to know about this one? Alright then. Swimming increases our lung capacity and swimming speed. Pity you can count on your fingers the number of times we'll actually have even the opportunity to swim, let alone actually need to do it.

Demolition: Affects the damage caused by our grenades and mines, our throwing distance, and gives us a longer window to disarm enemy mines and pinch them for ourselves.

Heavy Weapons: Affects the accuracy, damage, reload speed and movement penalty while using rocket launchers, flamethrowers and the like.

Low-Tech Weapons: Melee attacks, basically. Increases damage and attack speed.

Pistols: Increases damage, accuracy and reload speed of pistol weapons. Note that we're already given one level in this for free, which means that going up another level is significantly more expensive.

Rifles Increases damage, accuracy and reload speed of rifle weapons.

For skills, Just give me two or three that you folks think we should buy. I'll tally it up and use the results to decide spending priority. Note that any points we have leftover will still carry over into the game proper.

So, there we go. Have at it. I'll try and update this once a week, depending on my university workload.

Last edited by Gaunt88 on Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Gaunt88
User

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Let's Play Every Conspiracy Theory Ever - a Deus Ex LP

Post  Oni-Lord on Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:47 am

JC totally needs to be Ginger for this. That way he was soulless before they put all the technology in him. Then he needs the most stereotypical name, so something like Flannigan O'Hare should be good. As for skills, I like Lockpicking, Demolitions, and Pistols should do the trick.

User

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiri Ame on Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:52 am

I agree with Oni's name and model, because it's amazing.

As for skills... hmm... how about medicine and rifles? Yeah, I'll vote for that. Healing is always important.

User

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Doctor Thunder on Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:54 am

I'll vote for everything Oni voted for. Guy seems like he's got the right idea.

Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GameGuru on Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:03 am

Oni's idea for the win.
GameGuru
User

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Darkomega245 on Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:35 pm

Default JC is best JC.
Darkomega245
User

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Gaunt88 on Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:47 pm

Name & Appearance: Looks like Flannigan O'Hare the ginger super-soldier wins.

Skills: Tally is -

Lockpicking: 3
Demolition: 3
Pistols: 3
Medicine: 1
Rifles: 1

Turns out that Lockpicking and Demolition leave us just short of being able to afford Pistols, so I'll tag Medicine instead. That leaves us with a fair few surplus points, which isn’t a bad thing, as it means we can upgrade again soon.

Right, now we're all set to start. In-game lines will be in quote-boxes.

In an unknown location, two mysterious figures discuss their nefarious plans...

The guy on the right is in a hurry, though, he's late for his puppy-kicking seminar. On a more serious note, if you've played Deus Ex: Human Revolution you might recognise that guy's voice from the prequel's own cryptic foreshadow-y intro cutscene. It's the same character in both games, so they got the same VA in twelve years later, which I think is pretty cool. With this scene done, we move on to the game proper.

The game drops us off on the southern dock of Liberty Island, where UNATCO has their home base. It's pretty gloomy, but you can make out what's left of the Statue of Liberty in the distance. She's not in very good shape in 2052, as you might have noticed in the intro cut-scene as well. If we look behind us, we'll see that we got here via-

a UNATCO speedboat. The driver offers up a few choice comments about letting the minigun-toting robots do the fighting, and the merits of bulletproof speedboats. Thanks for that, buddy.

Right, enough chatting, lets get a move on-

ALEX JACOBSON: Heads up, JC. Your brother Paul is on his way to meet you at the dock. The NSF is raiding the island, and shots have been fired. I repeat: find Paul. I will monitor your situation from HQ.
- and apparently we have some nerdy-looking guy talking to us in our head. This is the Infolink, a one-way radio that only we can hear, presumably designed as such so that people can give us orders from the comfort of their offices without us back-chatting them.

Once our new friend finishes, a figure runs down the dock towards us -

Our brother, Paul. The O'Hare brothers re-unite:

JC DENTON: Paul! I thought you were in Hong Kong.

PAUL DENTON: Welcome to the Coalition, JC... I might as well start using your codename.
Yes, please. Anything has to be snappier than Flannigan...

PAUL DENTON: Think I'd miss my brother's first day?

JC DENTON: Didn't think you'd have a choice. What's going on?

PAUL DENTON: The NSF -- they hit one of our shipments. A few of them got away, but we trapped the rest in the Statue.

JC DENTON: What are we waiting for? Looks like a textbook assault.

PAUL DENTON: The NSF took one of our agents hostage. The bots are holding the perimeter, but my orders are to hold back and send you in alone. I think someone high up wants to see how you handle the situation.

JC DENTON: All I've got with me is a pistol and an electric prod. I don't mind a test, but UNATCO better issue some hardware.

PAUL DENTON: Remember that we're police. Stick with the prod. It will stun your opponents or knock them unconscious. A nonlethal takedown is always the most silent way to eliminate resistance. Just in case, though, Manderley wants you to pick an additional weapon: a sniper rifle, a GEP gun, or a minicrossbow.

Paul is about as pacifistic as a government spec-ops agent can be. He'd rather we go in with some subtlety and avoid shooting the place up, but is offering us a choice of three weapons:

The sniper rifle is exactly what is sounds like - scoped, long-range, powerful, rather loud. The GEP gun is a rocket (or Guided Explosive Projective if Rocket is too maintsream for you) launcher. It's one of the best ways to deal with enemy robots and turrets, if you don't mind making a lot of noise. Finally, the mini-crossbow - short-ranged but completely silent, it can fire a bunch of different ammo types, including a non-lethal toxic dart.

What should we pick?
Gaunt88
User

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiri Ame on Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:58 am

Sniper rifle rocket sniper rifle rocket sniper rifle rocket - come on, how can I make a choice between these two?

On the one hand, sniping is awesome, but on the other hand, rockets.

...Ah, well. I guess I'll vote for the sniper rifle. It seems like it'd be useful in a wider variety of situations than the rocket.

User

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GameGuru on Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:23 pm

Rocket Launcher! I wanna see stuff explode.
GameGuru
User

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Thanatologist on Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:57 pm

sniper or crossbow?

I'm on the fence here. On one hand: taking them out before they even get to you. On the other hand: NINJA! (and the diff ammo types sounds like they could come in handy, though I'm worried about the range)
Thanatologist
User

View user profile http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Tropers/Thanatologist

Back to top Go down

Post  Gaunt88 on Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:04 am

The crossbow's range of ammo is actually not as cool s it could be. It can fire either regular darts, tranquilliser darts of flare darts (which light up when you shoot them into walls. I can't say I've ever needed to use them.)
Gaunt88
User

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Thanatologist on Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:50 am

Sniper it is.

If only we could choose two... I'd go for the rocket + crossbow then.
Thanatologist
User

View user profile http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Tropers/Thanatologist

Back to top Go down

Post  Oni-Lord on Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:23 pm

we'd have to be crazy, or sane, not to pick the rocket launcher. Blowing shit up is in the O'Hare blood!

User

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lynkzero13 on Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:23 pm

Rawket lawnchair, my deah internets. There's simply no other way. O'Hare tradition demands it.

afro
Lynkzero13
Admin

View user profile http://thearistocrats.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Flanker 66 on Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:15 am

Ah, Deus Ex. I've only ever played Deus Ex: Human Revolution, so seeing how the critically acclaimed grandaddy of 'em all operates will make for an interesting time.

As for the weapon choice at hand, I'll plum for the sniper rifle. I would've said the crossbow, but I'm not entirely convinced it would be handy enough for Mister O'Hare to take along.

As you may have guessed, I have come back from my absence. This clearly means that my vote is worth twice as much as those of you peons. -n-
Flanker 66
User

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top