Discussion

Page 3 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Discussion

Post  Doctor Thunder on Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:06 pm

We're actually pretty fond of the name, as it demonstrates how classy we are. The punchline and the joke's terribleness is also kind of the point of the joke. It's not really meant to be funny.

Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lynkzero13 on Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:13 pm

@Ud: That's pretty much the entire reason why the forum is named that. Also, have a thing. And by thing I mean "forum section for not!RP stuff".

Mal covered the gif avatars deal. We'll tell you if they're obnoxious, but otherwise they're fine. If there's something preventing their use, let us know and I'll look into changing it.

I'll look into fixing the "no links/etc for 7 days" thing, although I'll probably keep it at a day if I can change it.

afro
Lynkzero13
Admin

View user profile http://thearistocrats.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Aken Jizo on Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:32 pm

I just created a Discussion thread for anything non!RP. It's for anything that people want to say, share, and/or complain about that has nothing to do with the RP itself (the site is fair game, though). If this isn't okay, I'll delete it.
Aken Jizo
User

Location : The place with the guy and the thing doing the stuff.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Locoman on Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:55 pm

Well, I'll be largely unavailable until Tuesday or so, but I'll catch up afterwards.

Then I'll be going to Taiwan for a week or so, but I may be able to get Internet there.
Locoman
User

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ud the Imp on Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:58 pm

@Loco: I suggest going to Taipei 101, the Taipei Zoo, and Tainan.
Ud the Imp
User

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Actually an RP story-relevant post

Post  Cojiro on Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:40 pm

Anyone think their AU Cityfied character would have a bodyguard? 'Cause that would align really well with what Hiiragi does. Second choice alternative is a security guard. I could see her working for the Mafia, Yakuza, police, or a private employer so long as she respects the particular employer. So if someone wants to cooperate like that/has a suggestion, let me know.
Cojiro
User

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  The Bountiful Cock Tree on Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:25 pm

Anyone high up enough in the Yakuza or Mafia or Tongs to be able to need a bodyguard would also be likely to live a paranoid little life spent almost entirely in their own mansion, so that might not work as an option for you.

A particularly high-profile or paranoid businessman or politician's still likely to want to hire some nice young men to stop them from getting shot, however. The city's going to be a fairly big and reasonably important one, so he could even be working for a visiting celebrity or musician or something.
The Bountiful Cock Tree
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ud the Imp on Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:30 pm

Fluffy ponies as the main vermin in the city.
Ud the Imp
User

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Flanker 66 on Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:41 pm

As my temporary character for AU day I'm thinking of playing Edison Trent, the protagonist of the game Freelancer. He doesn't have any special abilities (unless you count "being able to fly starships of all shapes and sizes with great skill" a special ability, and somehow I doubt that's going to come up), and he's a decent shot with a pistol (though again I doubt this will come up), but otherwise has no combat skills.

Since he's a freelancer (i.e. he doesn't have any particular faction affiliation and works for himself, taking on jobs for other people) I'm not sure how that'd translate into AU day terms. Any help?

Of course, this is going to be a tad moot since I'll be leaving for Iceland tomorrow for five days.
Flanker 66
User

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Aken Jizo on Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:53 pm

@Ud: Please no more fluffy ponies. They're annoying and sour the experience for a few of us.

@Flanker: A cop who's more interested in his pay than in enforcing the law? A merc that one of the families/clans hire out from time to time?
Aken Jizo
User

Location : The place with the guy and the thing doing the stuff.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Deadbeatloser22 on Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:57 pm

Ud the Imp wrote:Fluffy ponies as the main vermin in the city.

NO.
Deadbeatloser22
User

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cojiro on Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:10 pm

Anyone high up enough in the Yakuza or Mafia or Tongs to be able to need a bodyguard would also be likely to live a paranoid little life spent almost entirely in their own mansion, so that might not work as an option for you.

A particularly high-profile or paranoid businessman or politician's still likely to want to hire some nice young men to stop them from getting shot, however. The city's going to be a fairly big and reasonably important one, so he could even be working for a visiting celebrity or musician or something.

*she
(though now that you say that, I wonder how abnormal it'd be to have a female bodyguard/security guard in the 80s... I wouldn't think it'd be too strange but if it is she could totally pass herself off as male and add an extra layer of interest that way).

Good points. If nothing else, I'll just make something reasonable up and jump in when it seems like there's a good opportunity for it.
Cojiro
User

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  The Bountiful Cock Tree on Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:25 pm

@Flanker: The cop option would be preferable, in-keeping with AU Day's whole realism schtick.

@Cojiro: The eighties were when you started to get women in more important positions in industry and politics and shit, so a female bodyguard could very well happen. She just wouldn't be the physically imposing steroid abusing ex-world-bodybulding-champion type of bodyguard.
The Bountiful Cock Tree
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Flanker 66 on Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:32 pm

So fairly apathetic cop it is! Funnily enough, that would fit in with Trent's characterisation pretty well (for a good 1/2-3/4 of the way through of the game he's not particularly happy about being roped into
Spoiler:
saving the Sirius Sector from a bunch of parasitic blue-purple aliens
, and as a result you can usually decline the story missions until the home stretch or so). He'd still try to do the job as well as he could, but if it got particularly dangerous or whatever he'd probably go "fuck it" unless there were extenuating circumstances.
Flanker 66
User

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Deadbeatloser22 on Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:33 pm

Hooo boy... where to take this...
Deadbeatloser22
User

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lynkzero13 on Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:56 pm

@Ud: Yeah, no. Not happening again. Especially not since they can talk.

@Cojiro: A female bodyguard wouldn't be that out of place, it'd just be comparatively uncommon. Like Mal said, this is going to be the 80's, which was a pretty large step towards that elusive thing called gender equality. She might get a few strange looks, but it wouldn't be that unusual.

@Flanker: You could have him be a private investigator or something similar. That way he'd still basically be hired for work on a case-by-case basis, and he could do things more or less on his own terms.

afro
Lynkzero13
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ud the Imp on Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:59 pm

DEFINITELY going with the Kusagari from Red Steel 2. I'm thinking of making him like a badass police detective or a PI armed with a sword and some guns. Kinda like how he usually is, but minus the Kusagari superpowers to keep in with the realism.
Ud the Imp
User

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  The Bountiful Cock Tree on Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:02 pm

@Ud: Even more realistic would be not being a badass, and not carrying a sword, and only having one gun. The police department tend to look down on that sort of thing.
The Bountiful Cock Tree
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Flanker 66 on Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:24 pm

@Lynk:

...Actually, yeah, that could work better. It captures the "freelance" side of things quite well, and as you said it'd allow him to be his own man, so to speak.

Part of the reason I thought of using him was 1) because the series he comes from needs more love, 2) he's an interesting character, and 3) I just find it really amusing for some reason that he doesn't immediately leap at things like 95% of protagonists, even after constant cajoling.
Flanker 66
User

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Megafire on Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:32 pm

@ Cojiro

Kanaya might want someone to protect her establishment, if you're interested.

I do hope it's okay if I age Kanaya up to a reasonable age for running such a place.
Megafire
User

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lynkzero13 on Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:35 pm

You could always just have it be a family establishment or something similar that she had to take over running for one reason or another. Everyone's just going to be human for the AU day, so that'd be an option depending on how you wanted to handle it.

afro
Lynkzero13
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Megafire on Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:40 pm

She'd be thirteen, which would be a really odd for her to run the damn thing.

Could go with having it be a family business, though, that sounds good.
Megafire
User

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  lightdarkhero250 on Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:59 pm

Hi guys! I must say, this forum does feel more comfy, somehow. Just with all it's privatude(wow that isn't even a word). Plus for some reason I find blue and white more aesthetically pleasing than straight white, for some reason.

Anyway, to actually make this post on-topic of the RP, I was wondering, Is it alright for Lucas not to have parents during the AU? As in he's more of a street urchin type? Just askking cause I think it would play into the morally-clueless courier role better, or if it'd be too unrealistic, for a 14 year old to somehow live on his own in an 80's action movie. tongue

...That tongue emoticon feel weird.
lightdarkhero250
User

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ud the Imp on Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:23 pm

@Mal: Thing is the sword is a crucial gameplay mechanic of the game and taking the sword away from him would take away a crucial part of his character I believe. I'll stick with a single revolver, but I want to keep the sword as sort of a priceless family heirloom that functional in emergencies.
Ud the Imp
User

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Doctor Thunder on Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:29 pm

I misread this when I first saw it.

Just askking cause I think it would play into the morally-clueless courier role better, or if it'd be too unrealistic, for a 14 year old to somehow live on his own in an 80's action movie.

It's not an action movie day. Seriously, guys, it's not. This is just not what the day is going to be about. It's not Grand Theft Auto day, it's not Cops vs. Mafia day, it's not action movie day. I'm not trying to be a dick about this, but this is honestly like the twentieth time we've had to make this distinction for someone since we announced it.

Lucas having no parents is fine, people working as bodyguards is fine, but the AU Day is not going to be like an action movie. Again, I'm not trying to sound like a hard-ass, and I'm not frustrated with you, specifically, Lightdark, but everyone please try to pay attention to stuff like this. We shouldn't have to keep explaining this.

Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top